Dr. Dror Paley is one of the most respected and renowned stature lengthening surgeons, having won awards like the Gubernatorial Citation for Outstanding Contributions in Orthopedic surgery in 1990 and the Pauwel’s Medial in Clinical Biomechanics in 1997 .
The cost of limb lengthening by Dr. Paley is relatively expensive and it’s not all inclusive, but this isn’t the type of procedure where discounts should be sought or corners should be cut. Or in other words, Dr. Paley’s might be pricey, but his surgical expertise and aftercare are well worth it due to the inherent risks with the procedure.
How Much Does Limb Lengthening Surgery Cost with Dr. Dror Paley?
The cost of limb lengthening surgery depends on how many surgeries you get done, how much height you want to gain, the segments you lengthen, and what exactly is covered in the price billed by the doctor.
If a patient receives multiple surgeries to achieve maximum stature, the cost will be higher than a single surgery and some surgeons include hospital stays, removal, physical therapy etc. within the price, but there’s also factors not included in these totals which we’ll get to below.
This chart represents the costs for each type of leg lengthening surgery offered by the Paley Institute with the PRECICE nail :
|Dr. Paley Limb Lengthening Surgery Costs|
|Type of Surgery||Height Gain||Cost|
|Lengthening both femurs||8 cm||$97,500|
|Lengthening both tibias||5 cm||$109,000|
|Combined tibia and femur lengthening||5 + 5 = 10 cm||$196,500|
|Femur lengthening, then tibia lengthening 1 year+ later||8 + 5 = 13 cm||$206,500|
|Combined tibia and femur lengthening, followed by the same procedure 1 year+ later||8 + 8 = 16 cm||$280,000|
Note, tibia surgery is more expensive than femur surgery since tibias are a more complex procedure and heal two times slower than femurs . In addition, Dr. Paley no longer uses external fixation devices for cosmetic leg lengthening surgery.
What Expenses are Covered in Dr. Paley’s Price?
Dr. Paley’s limb lengthening costs cover the initial device and surgery in addition to most of the aftercare costs unlike the limb lengthening costs with Dr. Rozbruch – who is another top surgeon. Keep in mind that this cost will only cover physical therapy if patients go with the PT provided by the Paley Institute (St. Mary’s Medical Center) and aftercare is almost as important as the surgery itself.
The following is included in Dr. Paley’s pricing:
- Hospital stay for 4 days (patients staying longer have to pay a surcharge)
- All hospital charges till patient exits the recovery room
- Surgeon fees
- Anesthesiologist fees
- Surgery assistant fees
- Hospitalist/internal medicine doctor fees
- Radiologist fees
- All x-rays within 11 weeks of surgery for femurs and 13 weeks for tibias, with a surcharge for additional x-rays
- All office visits within 11 weeks of surgery for femurs and 13 weeks for tibias, with a surcharge for additional office visits
- Soft tissue release, like IT band, bicep tendon, and gastro-soleus muscles
- Wheelchair, walker, crutches, and bedside commode post-surgery
- Physical therapy 5 days a week for 11 weeks after surgery for femurs (55 visits) and 13 weeks for tibias (65 visits). Weekends and additional sessions will require a surcharge
- Transportation to and from the approved extended stay hotels and the Paley Institute, including for daily PT sessions 
What Other Costs Are There?
Though the mentioned amounts cover much of the costs of limb lengthening by Dr. Paley, there are some extra costs patients need to keep in mind before opting for this surgery:
- Initial consultation fees: $750
- Vitamin D testing: $500 
- Medications and pharmaceuticals (pain medicine and anticoagulants): $70 – $383 + vitamin D and anti-inflammatory medicine 
- Accommodations in West Palm Beach, Florida: $40 – $400 per night
- Travel to and from West Palm Beach: $50 – $500 flight and $40 – $200 taxi
- Travel to the hospital on weekends (if not provided by the hotel): $20 – $100 taxi
- Weekend PT (optional): $225 per session 
- Food and other supplies: $53 average per day 
- Entertainment and/or internet costs: $50 – $1,000 per month 
- Home health aides (nurses, homemakers, etc.): $4,000 for two weeks 
What’s The Cost of Nail Removal?
While nail removal isn’t included in the initial surgery costs, it’s best to get the internal device removed to reduce the risk of infections and complications in the future. It’s usually done 1-2 years later as an outpatient procedure and will add to limb lengthening costs under Dr. Paley.
- Bilateral femur: $18,000
- Bilateral tibia: $22,500
- Bilateral femur + tibia: $28,000 
Costs of Correctional Procedures from Dr. Paley
If a patient happens to rotate the joints or develops bowlegs after height increasing surgery, or if they go into surgery with one of these conditions, they’ll have to pay an extra amount to correct these conditions.
Keep in mind that there is only about a 5-6% chance of these serious complications , but you should still keep some additional money in reserve as this correction is necessary to avoid changes in gait and posture.
- Rotation correction (femur lengthening): $10,000
- Rotation correction (tibia lengthening): $10,000
- Bowlegged correction (tibia lengthening): $15,000
- Bowlegged correction (femur lengthening): $50,000 
Does Dr. Paley Cover Costs of Potential Complications?
No, patients will have to pay about $30,000 to cover the cost of correcting complications . While height surgery has very high success rates and the rate of complications that require unplanned surgery is only up to 1%, it’s best to keep this money handy .
Does Insurance Cover Any Costs of Limb Lengthening Surgery?
Insurance doesn’t cover limb lengthening or any other cosmetic surgery, though a few insurance providers may cover the procedure if a patient needs lengthening to fix a deformity . However, they may still not pay for x-rays, additional tests, potential complications, physical therapy, etc.
Total Expected Costs of Limb Lengthening with Dr. Paley
These are the estimated costs for limb lengthening surgery with Dr. Paley, assuming the patient lives somewhere in the USA and has to fly to West Palm Beach, stays for 3 months at one of the recommended hotels for $40 – $400 per night, and spends $20 – $60 per day on food delivery services since patients aren’t very mobile during recovery.
A caretaker is optional, and complication correction costs can vary.
- Surgery, releases, hospital stay, physical therapy, x-rays: $97,500 – $280,000
- Nail Removal: $18,000 – $28,000
- Estimated Costs of Medication: $70 – $500
- Potential Complications: $0 – $30,000
- Deformity Correction: $0 – $50,000
- Food: $0 – $5,520
- Lodging: $3,640 – $36,800 
- Flights: $100 – $1,000
- Flights to – from West Palm Beach: $80 – $400
- Travel between hospital and hote (some hotels provide a shuttle)l: $0 – $1,200
- Miscellaneous Costs (PT Devices): $1,250 – $3,000
- Caretaker Costs: $0 – $10,000
- TOTAL: $120,640 – $418,420
Apart from that, you need to make a non-refundable deposit of $10,000 2 months before the surgery, and you need to pay in full 15 days beforehand via wire transfer or certified check. If you use a credit card, you’ll also have to pay a 2.5% surcharge .
Before paying any random surgeon, make sure to weigh the pros and cons of leg lengthening surgery and don’t skimp on doctor’s visits or physical therapy to save money. Neglecting either of these things can increase the risk of complications that are much more expensive to correct.
If you’re not a fan of Dr. Paley for some reason, we encourage you to look around elsewhere but it’s crucial always preform due diligence before committing a surgeon.
 Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. (2015, September 28). Dror Paley – Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. Paley Institute. https://paleyinstitute.org/blog/physicians/dror-paley/#/
 Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. (2018). Costs & Financial Considerations. Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. https://paleyinstitute.org/centers-of-excellence/stature-lengthening/costs-financial-considerations/#/
 Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. (2018). Consolidation Phase. Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. https://paleyinstitute.org/centers-of-excellence/stature-lengthening/the-paley-method/consolidation-phase/#/
 Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. (2022). Stature Lengthening Guide Book [PDF]. https://paleyinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/StatureLengtheningGuide-Website.pdf
 Budget Your Trip. (2021, January 21). West Palm Beach Travel Cost – Average Price of a Vacation to West Palm Beach: Food & Meal Budget, Daily & Weekly Expenses | BudgetYourTrip.com. Budget Your Trip. https://www.budgetyourtrip.com/united-states-of-america/west-palm-beach
 allconnect. (2022). Best Internet Providers in West Palm Beach, FL | Compare 6 Options. Allconnect.com. https://www.allconnect.com/local/fl/west-palm-beach
 Paley D. (1990). Problems, obstacles, and complications of limb lengthening by the Ilizarov technique. Clinical orthopaedics and related research, (250), 81–104. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2403498/
 Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. (2015, September 27). Accommodations – Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute. Paley Institute. https://paleyinstitute.org/patient-resources/accommodations/#/